A comparison of ring widths 4mm vs. 6mm vs. 8mm vs. 10mm
The average ring band width for an average male is 8mm wide or 0.314961 inches. The average ring band width for an average female is 4mm wide or 0.15748 inches. The reason for these averages are obvious, females tend to have smaller hands and slimmer fingers, so a thinner band is optimal.
However, there are technically no rules to how wide your ring should be. You can wear any width you'd like! We highly encourage you get a ring width that you personally like.
Suggest Ring Widths Depending on Weight (Average)
2mm and 12mm are the extremes of small and large widths, we do not recommend these widths unless you really prefer them!
Suggest Ring Widths for Ectomorph, Mesomorph, or Endomorph
Another suggestion on how to get the perfect ring width for you is to base your decision on your body type. Body types can be classified into three categories: Ectomorph, Mesomorph, and Endomorph. To put it simply, Ectomorphs are generally lengthy/lean, Mesomorphs are average and Endomorphs are thicker/wider. We suggest Ectomorph males to wear 6mm and Ectomorph females to wear 4mm. Mesomorph males should wear 8mm and Ectomorph females should wear 4mm/6mm. Endomorph males should wear 10mm and Endomorph females should wear 6mm/8mm.
Factors to consider when choosing the right ring width for you1. Do you personally like smaller or bigger jewelry?
-Some of you may already wear small or large earrings, necklaces, and or bracelets. You may want to match your current aesthetic with the small or large ring width.
2. Is your body type larger or smaller than average?
- Body Builders - Males body builders tend to go 10mm+ and female body builders 6mm+ because of the larger muscles
- Dancers - Dancers usually go slimmer widths because they don't want to be swinging a large metal object around on the dance floor.
3. Do you have a job where you use your hands a lot?
- Sport Athletes - If you live an active life style, you usually will have to get your hands dirty. Athletes get slimmer width bands just to avoid any issues when on the grind.
- Office Work - Average ring widths are perfect for office work, not too big where it gets annoying after the 5th email of the day, but not too small where your coworkers don't get jealous.
Are you unsure what a ring width looks like in person? Use a nickel!
The american nickel is almost exactly 2mm wide, so if you're looking to see what 8mm wide looks like in person, just stack 4 nickels on top of each other.